President Biden in a secure video call with the leaders of France, Germany and the U.K. on Monday.Handout/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images

President Biden and the leaders of France, Germany and the U.K. in a call Monday “affirmed their determination to continue raising the costs on Russia” for invading Ukraine, the White House said.

The leaders were expected to discuss further coordination on sanctions among other matters, Western officials say. The call lasted about an hour and 20 minutes, ending just after 12 p.m. ET in Washington. Mr. Biden was joined by President Emmanuel Macron of France, Chancellor Olaf Scholz of Germany and Prime Minister Boris Johnson of the U.K.

The White House said the leaders also “underscored their commitment to continue providing security, economic and humanitarian assistance to Ukraine” and discussed their recent engagements with the Ukrainian and Russian presidents.

No additional detail was provided.

U.S. Army soldiers in Savannah, Ga., waiting to depart for Germany last week.Hunter Cone/Shutterstock

The U.S. is deploying another 500 troops to Europe in response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, a senior defense official said Monday, pushing the total number of American forces in the region to 100,000.

As part of the deployment, the U.S. is sending KC-130 refueling tanker aircraft to Greece, the official said. The official didn’t identify where the forces would be coming from, other than to say they currently are based in the U.S.

President Biden has said that U.S forces wouldn’t enter Ukraine. Rather, U.S. forces have been deployed to North Atlantic Treaty Organization states to bolster security on the alliance’s eastern flank, closest to the conflict, and to send a message of deterrence to Russia.

“These units are very much in support of forces already forward,” the official said. “These assets will prove helpful to our ability to make sure that we’re protecting NATO airspace.”

Prior to the current crisis, roughly 80,000 U.S. troops were based throughout Europe. In the weeks before the Feb. 24 invasion, the U.S. began deploying troops towards the eastern flank and have announced several troop deployments since then. Those nations receiving the additional U.S. forces include Poland, Romania, Latvia and Estonia.

Andrei Turchak, the secretary of the general council of the United Russia party, at a news conference last month.Alexander Ryumin/Zuma Press

Russia should nationalize the operations of Western companies exiting the country in response to the war in Ukraine, a top official in Russia’s dominant political party said on Monday.

Such a move would help prevent job losses and maintain Russia’s ability to produce goods domestically, said Andrei Turchak, the secretary of the general council of the United Russia party.

“This is an extreme measure, but we will not tolerate stabs in the back, and we will defend our people,” Mr. Turchak said in a statement posted on the party’s website. “This is a real war, and not just against Russia as a whole, but against our citizens. We will take tough retaliatory measures, acting under the laws of wartime.”

United Russia dominates Russia’s rubber-stamp parliament and is unwaveringly loyal to President Vladimir Putin.

Many Western companies have severed ties with Russia since Mr. Putin ordered the invasion of Ukraine last month and the U.S. and European Union hit back with sanctions. Among the companies that have halted production at plants in Russia are car-makers Toyota Motor Corp. and Volkswagen AG.

In his statement, Mr. Turchak mentioned a trio of Finnish food companies that recently said they are withdrawing from Russia: Valio, Paulig and Fazer.

Decisions by Western companies to leave Russia are “purely political,” said Mr. Turchak, who is also a senior lawmaker in the upper house of the Russian parliament.

Russian President Vladimir Putin, front center, with Japan’s Shinzo Abe and competitors at an international judo tournament in Vladivostok, Russia, in 2019.Alexander Nemenov/Pool/Shutterstock

Russian President Vladimir Putin no longer holds any roles or titles with the International Judo Federation, the organization said, in the latest rebuke from the sporting world over his invasion of Ukraine.

The sports governing body, in a brief statement posted to its website late Sunday, said Mr. Putin, a longtime practitioner and judo aficionado, had been removed from all positions at the IJF. It also stripped all titles and jobs from Arkady Rotenberg, a Russian oligarch with close ties to the president.

The IJF had earlier suspended Mr. Putin, 69 years old, from his role as honorary president of the organization. The IJF cited Russia’s invasion of Ukraine for that Feb. 27 decision.

“In light of the ongoing war conflict in Ukraine, the International Judo Federation announces the suspension of Mr. Vladimir Putin’s status as honorary president and Ambassador of the International Judo Federation,” the group said at the time.

Mr. Putin, a judo black belt, has credited the sport with getting him off Russia’s streets as a young man and teaching him discipline. He has even suited up in the past to spar with Russia’s national team.

The IJF is one of several international sporting organizations to censure Mr. Putin and Russia.

The International Olympic Committee last week issued a recommendation that all Russian and Belarusian athletes be banned from international competition, in one of the sports world’s most drastic responses to the invasion of Ukraine.

Though the IOC’s announcement didn’t in itself suspend the athletes, it gave cover to any global sports federation to take action.

That same day, FIFA, soccer’s world governing body, suspended Russian clubs and the country’s national team from all competition until further notice, effectively throwing it out of qualification for the 2022 World Cup.

The International Paralympic Committee, meanwhile, prohibited Russian and Belarusian paralympians from competing in the Paralympic Games that began Friday.

Danish power company Oersted A/S said it won’t be able to terminate its ties with Russian state giant Gazprom PJSC until 2030, highlighting the difficulties Europe faces in extricating its energy market from Moscow’s influence.

Oersted said in a statement to investors that it has a take-or-pay purchase contract with Gazprom dating back to 2006. The contract expires in 2030 and cannot be terminated right now, the power company said.

Oersted signaled that it would cut Russian natural gas imports sooner if officials impose sanctions on those flows, effectively giving the company a legal out. It’s an initiative the company said it supports and would immediately comply with.

Under the contract, Oersted imports about 20 terawatt-hours of gas a year. The company, which has pivoted to renewables in recent years, said it will take the minimum annual volume of gas allowed under the contract.

The statement by a major utility offers a rare glimpse into the terms on which European companies buy gas from Gazprom. Europe sources about 40% of the gas it consumes for electricity, heating and industrial purposes from Russia, where Gazprom has a monopoly on pipeline exports.

Officials and traders in the region fear Russia could turn off the taps in response to sanctions the West has leveled at Moscow following its invasion of Ukraine. Halting exports would come with costs for the Russian government, which owns a majority of Gazprom shares and receives much-needed revenue from the company’s exports. Still, concern the Kremlin could throttle supplies drove natural-gas futures in northwest Europe to record highs Monday, threatening to feed into higher bills for consumers and companies.

Oersted said it was looking to reduce the financial hedges it had put in place to lock in profits from Gazprom exports in case supplies are interrupted or sanctioned.